Out of many ideas to make kids eat healthy food, one is to indulge them in cooking. It is always seen that when kids make something by themselves their interest for eating that food is always higher than usual. Kids are fussy eaters. They may like something one day but dislike it the next day. Involving them in making healthy food in a fun and interesting way, including their favourite or approved ingredients, has shown positive results.
So help your kids get out of their comfort zones and boost them to make and innovate some healthy snacks with these easy kids friendly recipes.
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges/ Fries
Pre heat oven for 5 min at 200 celsius, peel the sweet potato 🍠 cut them into wedges or fries shape. Toss the wedges in drops of ghee or oil, salt (we recommend rock salt ). Place the wedges on a baking dish, bake for 25-30 minutes. Healthy snack for kids is ready to serve.
High source of fibre makes it great for digestion and GUT
Rich in vitamins and minerals which boost brain development and Immunity
- Dates Energy Bars
Clean the dates and remove seeds. Add walnuts, almonds and coconut to a food processor. Pulse till dry fruits are broken into pieces. Now add some seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, melon), add dates and further grind for twenty seconds. Repeat till dates are crushed and mixed with dry-fruits.
Now grease the butter paper in a pan and pour mixture and set it plain and refrigerate till harden. Now cut into pieces. Healthy snack for kids is ready to serve.
Dates are a natural substitute for sugar and fulfil kids’ sweet tooth without harming their health. They are loaded with iron, fiber calcium which are great for digestion, energy. Dates are healthy food for kids
These nuts are packed with vitamins and minerals like copper, zinc, vitamin A, C and E which are necessary for immunity and eyesight.
- Cucumber Sandwich
Cut the cucumber into thick slices. Layer the cheese slice and peanut butter or mashed avocado between the cucumber slices. Bind together with a toothpick or keep it open . Healthy snacks for kids late afternoon craving is ready. Try this with red capsicum also.
Cucumber is a nutrient and water rich veggie that prevents dehydration and ensures healthy eyesight and high energy in kids.
- Peanut Butter Chocolate balls
Take 1 cup coconut or almond flour in a bowl, add some honey, pinch of salt and ¼ cup peanut butter. Mix it well and make small balls. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to harden. Dip the ball in melted dark chocolate and refrigerate further for 30 min till it hardens. Let your kids enjoy the goodness of peanuts.
Peanut is a healthy food for kids. High in protein which is vital for growing kids. It has calcium, magnesium, phosphorus which is essential for bone strength. It boosts immunity, eyesight and brain development.
Peanuts also contain a high amount of vitamin Bs which maintains the body’s energy supplies.
Slice an apple and spread a layer of peanut butter on each slice, topped with nuts, chocolate chips and some shredded coconut or nothing at all. Apple cookies, healthy snack for kids, are ready to serve.
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away” this not just a saying but actually apple is loaded with lots of health benefits as it is rich in fiber,vitamin c, antioxidants and potassium,it helps in reducing the risk of obesity.
- Mint Lassi
Take a grinder and add few mint leaves, ½ cup yogurt, epsom salt and black salt as per taste and ½ cup water. Pour the mixture in a glass and garnish it with mint leaves and cumin powder. Ready to serve.
This salted mint lassi not only fulfills your thirst but also saves from adverse effects of dehydrating in summer heat. Mint is suitable for digestion and also instantly cools down the body temperature.
Yogurt is one of the healthy food for kids as it promotes the growth of healthy bacteria and reduces the growth of harmful bacteria in the gut, keeping digestion and immunity in check.
Epsom salt has magnesium which is great to keep the anxiety in kids under control.
- Mixed Sprout Chaat
Take mixed sprouts (mung bean, moth beans, black chana etc). Add some finely chopped veggies of your choice (cucumber, onion, coriander, tomato, red capsicum etc), lemon juice, salt to taste and some chaat masala. This tangy and super healthy snack is ready to rock!
The sprouting process increases the level of nutrients- protein, magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and vitamin B, C, K compared to unsprouted plants which makes it healthy food for kids
Sprouts also contain lower levels of antinutrients, making it easier for the body to absorb all the nutrients, so it is a super healthy food for your little ones.
Sprouting also creates enzymes, making it easy for digestion and gut health.
- Yogurt Honey Fruit cups
- Cut fresh fruits of your kids choice in a bowl (banana, apple, pear, grapes etc). Add some yogurt (naturally flavoured with orange, vanilla or lime). Add some honey on top. Garnish with choco chips or roasted nuts. Enjoy!
Your kids are definitely going to love this color full combination of fresh fruits and flavored yogurt. Fruits are healthy food for kids as they are an excellent source of essential vitamins and minerals. They are high in fiber, boost your kids immunity and help in brain development.
In a grinder add some frozen strawberries (or any other fruit), lime juice, and a few spoons of honey. Pour this in a glass, garnish it with some Choco chips and one of the healthy snacks for kids is ready to Serve.
Packed with vitamins, fiber and high level of antioxidants, strawberries are a sodium free, fat free, cholesterol free, low calorie food.
- Roasted Makhana (Fox nuts)
- Take an iron cookware. Add a few drops of ghee. Add Makhanas and continue to stir and roast till they become slightly brown. Sprinkle some salt and pepper. This crunchy healthy snack for kids is ready to serve.
- Makhana are a great healthy food for kids as it supports brain development. They are also loaded with bone strengthening minerals.
- Sweet Corn Salad
- In a bowl mix sweet corn (steamed), spring onion or any other veggies of your choice, add crushed cashew and/ or almond, grated coconut and salt/ epsom salt to taste. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve this healthy snack for kids.
- Corn is rich in zinc, magnesium, copper, iron and manganese which makes it good for the energy, bones and immunity of kids. It also has a high fiber content which aids in digestion. Corn is a good source of antioxidants (carotenoids, lutein and Zeaxanthin) which promote healthy eyesight.
- Chocolate Banana Bites
- In a grinder take some dates, banana, walnuts, coco powder, cinnamon powder, peanut butter or other nut butter, pinch of salt. Grind them well in a paste and add some shredded coconut. Mix well. Apply oil on your kids palm and ask them to make small balls and coat them with some finely chopped nuts. Eat this healthy snack for kids for sweet cravings.
- Banana are one of the best fruit sources of vitamins B6 and C. Loaded with Manganese, Potassium banana can aid digestion and help beat gastric issues.
Read more blogs: