Toddlers between the age group of 1 to 3 years go through a lot of developmental changes. It can often get challenging for parents to feed them healthy food and manage daily nutrition. There aren’t any strict rights or wrongs however there can be certain choices that can make the mealtime pleasant for both the child and the parent, while keeping it nutritious too. These nutrition tips for toddlers can help.
which nutrients are most important?
Toddlers need roughly 1000 calories a day. Healthy food for toddlers must be packed with nutrients, namely some key ones like calcium, vitamin C, D, Iron (which are mostly found deficient too!) within those limited calories. For instance, handing over a cookie with 100 calories will take away your chance of feeding Iron to your child through a bowl of spinach soup. One nutrition tips for toddlers is to replace junk food with healthy food. Certain informed choices will have to be made to ensure that the calories are full of quality in the early years. (How iron deficiency affects child?)
Toddler years are a time of growth and development and protein plays an important role during this phase. Whey protein for child especially toddlers also has its benefits. Whey protein for toddlers can be made at home with the left-over fluid when yogurt is curdled. (How whey protein helps?)
WHY No Sugar for toddlers?
Another important nutrition tips for toddlers is to avoid sugar. Studies suggest that you should give no sugar for toddlers under 2 years of age.. The reasons for which sugar should be avoided are mentioned below:
- Calcium combines with phosphorus to make calcium phosphate which is the most important component for our bones. When sugar is consumed, there is an acid that’s released in the body. In order to balance this acid, calcium is extracted from the bones resulting in weaker bones and easy fractures.
- Vitamin D assists in absorption of Calcium by the bones. Consumption of sugar increases an enzyme that degrades vitamin D. And thereby results in reduced absorption of calcium by the bones. Double whammy!
- Vitamin C helps to make collagen and also delays the decaying process of bones. Sugar intake restricts the absorption of this vitamin into our body cells resulting in weaker bones.
- Magnesium works on keeping the bones strong. Sugar strips the body of magnesium too by releasing it out through urine.
WHY NO SALT FOR TODDLERS?
Toddlers are busy growing and crossing new milestones. Along with their body, their observation and admiration is also increasing and feeding healthy food for toddlers becomes more important. They are trying and accepting new food flavors. As a parent, it is imperative to present healthy food options which are not detrimental to the child’s growth, mainly bones. A study states that kids in India (and worldwide) tend to consume double the recommended limit of sodium in their diet. When sodium intake becomes too high, the body gets rid of sodium via the urine, taking calcium with it, which depletes calcium stores in the body resulting in weaker bones. Every bite matters and should be chosen wisely! That is why no salt for toddlers is advised.
Other important nutrition tips for toddlers to keep in mind:
(1) various textures and tastes:
- The sooner the transition from baby food to family food happens, it not only makes the life of the parent much easier but also prepares the child to try varied textures and tastes. Early introduction of healthy food is necessary for growing kids. Nutrient deficiency can directly impact digestion, bones and brain development of the child. Hence, every bite the child takes should be loaded with goodness (and taste!) (Baby’s first foods?)
(2) Food format Matters:
- For ideal nutrition intake, we should serve a variety of healthy food for toddlers preferably in the format he or she loves to eat. It is not only liberating but also time saving for the parents to share the same meal with the child as he/she is eating. It is observed that it’s not the healthy food that makes a child fussy but the food format. If a child is given healthy food in his/her favourite format in their early years, then they learn to eventually pick up and enjoy those vegetables, fruits and nuts without much fuss. For example, if a child loves fries, then baking sweet potato or carrot fries with favorite seasoning is a no brainer. It a kind of co win situation, combination of taste and health.
Check here: Kids notice the format of food and not the food
(3) healthy eating habits:
- Kids do as their parents do. They copy! Sharing and eating appealing, tasty healthy food with the child, makes the whole process of feeding not only simple but also pleasant. Mostly food preferences are formed early in life. Hence, onus is on the parent as to what options does he/she serve to the child. Serving healthy food for toddlers or child-friendly food will most likely make the child habitual to less spice, easy to chew, limited food options. These habit forming preferences only become firmer with age resulting in either higher consumption of processed food (like cookies, fries etc) or a separate meal preparation at home (which can get frustrating eventually). (Why junk food should be avoided?)
Recipe: CARAMELIZED MAKHANA RECIPe WITH HIDDEN NUTS AND HERBS
Let’s make every dish tasty and nutritious by ‘hidden’ nutrition of veggies, herbs and nuts.
We are happy to introduce our range of nutritious & tasty products for kids!!
We know that preparing and feeding healthy foods everyday is a huge task. Even more tough when kids are picky eaters. Kids prefer certain foods and formats. It is not easy to feed kids bitter Ayurvedic herbs, variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds everyday.
Mixed with Ayurvedic herbs, this unique product is an easy solution to feed daily nutrition for Immunity, Brain development, Bone strength and overall-growth to kids without any fuss.
India’s First Tasty Kids Nutrition fortified with Ayurvedic herbs.
For picky eater or who does not take enough nutrition for the day | Kids & Teens Daily Nutrition Savoury Spread | Made with clinically proven ‘5 Ayurvedic herbs and 7 Nuts’ | ORDER | 0% preservative | 0% palm oil | High in VITAMIN D, CALCIUM and VITAMIN B12 |
Check more products for: Immunity, Brain development, Weight, Sleep, Hyperactivity, Eyesight, Hormones and Overall growth
Read more blogs: