|Recipe Options/ Recommended Daily Intake (RDI)||Copper |
|Spinach Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) Curry||39%||68%||20%||74%|
|Spinach Tofu Curry||77%||73%||0%||144%|
- Spinach is a great source of Copper. Consuming it with Tofu can provide 77% of daily requirement. Copper helps to absorb Iron, and together they form Red blood cells which carry oxygen in the body and provide energy.
- Spinach is high in Vitamin B9 and B12 which supports tissue formation in the body and further helps to form red blood cells to provide energy and heal faster.
- Paneer (Indian cottage cheese) is high in Vitamin B12, which is useful in keeping blood cells healthy and forming our DNA. This vitamin is largely deficient in vegans and vegetarians.
- Spinach Tofu combination meets Manganese requirement of the day. This mineral is necessary for bone health.
- Lightly steam one bunch of spinach and keep the spinach water. Grind it with 2 garlic pods, 1 small ginger piece, green chilli (optional). Sauté 1 medium chopped onions in 2 tbsp oil/ butter/ ghee). Add spinach purée. Cook briefly for 2 min. Add 300g tofu or Indian cottage cheese/ paneer cubes. Add salt and Indian garam masala (or replace with black pepper). Cook for 2 minutes and switch off gas. Cover the pan and leave for a short while for paneer/ tofu to absorb the essence of the gravy. Can also garnish with additional spice of burnt garlic in oil/butter/ghee on top. Serve with rice or chapati/ fat bread. If this is left over, you can mix in dough of bread or chapati the next day.
Read previous blogs: