Dry skin is a common condition. There can be many reasons for dry skin on face and body of kids and it’s become important to take steps for skin care for children. At least one in 10 children have eczema, an ongoing skin problem that causes dry, itchy, red skin (what category of foods can help eczema?). Children with eczema have more sensitive skin than other people. Babies with severe eczema may also have food allergies. The most common being allergy from cow’s milk.
Common reasons for Dry skin ON FACE AND BODY
Bathing too often and using soap can cause dry skin and if skin is already dry it makes it worse. This happens because soap removes the layer of skin’s natural oil and makes it difficult for skin to keep moisture in.
Climate is also responsible for having dry skin. It’s especially common in winters. When the humidity level drops outside, it affects skin as water in your skin evaporates quickly. This makes your skin feel dry and tight and makes it look cracking. Skin care for children becomes more important in winters.
Genetics also plays a role in dry skin. Researchers say that dry skin can be inherited. According to a study, mutations in genes that control the production of the protein filaggrin, which plays a role in forming and hydrating the skin barrier, can cause several skin conditions and one should take skin care for children
Chlorine protects from harmful bacteria that can form in swimming pools. But spending too long in the swimming pool can be a cause for your kid’s dry skin. The chlorine in pool water can dry out a kid’s skin and make it feel tight and itchy because chlorine strips hairs and skin of the natural lubricant (sebum). Dry skin is less common in teenagers than in younger kids as the oil glands are more active in teenage years.
Common cure for dry skin ON FACE AND BODY
There are many home remedies for dry skin one can use. Most common being oil. However, a study in 2013 found that olive oil actually damaged the skin’s barrier, suggesting not all natural oils are suitable for use as moisturizers. Below are some home remedies for dry skin also some nuts and fruits which can be applied or consumed as a part of skin care for children
- A study in 2019 explained that soothing properties of coconut oils have positive results on dermatitis and extremely dry skin. Coconut oil acts as a sealant as it traps water into the skin and keeps it moist. It also provides key essential fatty lipids. These lipids improve the function of the skin allowing it to feel hydrated as a result. (Is it beneficial to eat coconut oil too?). Other than applying the oil for dryness purposes, coconut also contains antibacterial properties, which help to heal a rash or allergy on the skin and considered as one of the best home remedies for dry skin on face and overall body. This can also be mixed with aloe vera and kept.
One of the easiest available home remedies for dry skin is Aloe Vera. It has healing and hydrating properties and is a great choice for dry skin. However, it absorbs easily, making it ideal for oily skin too. It helps to seal moisture into your skin. According to a 2015 systematic review study, aloe Vera has antioxidant, antimicrobial and wound healing properties that may help with the symptoms of eczema (What kind of food can help with allergies?).
- Cocoa butter can be used as skin care for children with dry skin. It is mostly made up of fatty acids. People use cocoa butter to help relieve dry skin. It is a boon for people with dry and dull skin conditions. It has the ability to nourish and hydrate the skin and develop elasticity. Mixing this with tea tree oil can give added acne solving benefits to the skin. It can also be a great butter replacement in baking goods. (A recipe for a super nutritious chocolate bar)
- It has been used as a natural product for thousands of years to reduce skin redness and hydrate the skin due to its anti-inflammatory properties (what kind of food can help with inflammation?) It works as an antibacterial spray to help reduce acne (How to treat acne?). This is one of the best home remedies for dry skin. Preparing it at home with all natural rose flowers is the best way to get a chemical free product.
- Loaded with fatty acids like linolenic, oleic and palmitic acid and other vital nutrients it can be beneficial for skin. It can help you to get rid of acne, scars, dull and dry skin. It increases the production of collagen and gives a smooth glowing skin. Sunflower seeds also contain substantial amounts of zinc and vitamin E which helps to protect skin cells from ageing and decaying. (Does eating sunflower seeds help too?). Based on the age of the child, consuming the seed or its powder, or applying its oil on the skin, both benefit the skin dryness levels.
Benefits of tomatoes for dry skin on face are plenty. It contains several skin friendly vitamins and nutrients that can give you beautiful and glowing skin such as lycopene and antioxidants. These can repair damaged skin cells and restore its natural, healthy glow. It also contains deep cleansing agents and corrects the skin pH levels (making it not too dry nor too oily), therefore can very well prevent dryness in skin and minimize acne. (What are other benefits of consuming a tomato every day?) Juice of tomato also reduces the sun tan from the skin apart from providing it moisturizing effect. Skin care for children is important and tomato helps in this.
The natural oils in avocado deeply penetrate the skin to nourish, soften and hydrate. Avocado is packed with vitamin A which is responsible for ensuring effective cell repair. It is a great source of biotin, which is part of Vitamin B and helps to control dry skin issues. They are factory of healthy fats including vitamin E, which are essential to keep skin flexible and moisturized. Additionally, avocado also helps to slow the visible signs of ageing. (What is an easy recipe to use avocado?) Applying avocado on the skin is a great child moisturizer (can also mix along with aloe vera). Eating helps too in skin care for children.
Walnuts have many characteristics that make them an excellent food for healthy skin. They are a good source of essential fatty acids, which are fats that the body cannot make itself. In fact they are richer than most other nuts in both omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids that strengthen the membranes of skin cells, locking in moisture and nutrients that keep the skin plump and glowing and keeps out toxins that can damage skin cells. Walnuts have anti-inflammatory properties which help to boost vitamin B levels that are responsible for improving your skin health and preventing skin dryness. Depending on the age of the child, feeding the nut or using its oil are options for skin care for children.
Recipe for Cornflakes seed cookies
- 1/3 cup each cornflakes (crushed), wheat flour, oats
- Handful sunflower seeds or any nut crushed or powdered
- Handful Choco chips (or more)
- Honey (as per sweetness)
- Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon powder
- 2 heaped tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
- Milk as little as to make sticky dough
- Take small scoop of dough and place on lined baking tray
- Preheat oven for 5 min.
- Bake at 200 celsius for 15 min. Once edges begin to brown, take it out.
- Cool on rack. Once completely cool, eat right away.
We are happy to introduce our range of nutritious & tasty products for kids!!
We know that preparing and feeding healthy foods everyday is a huge task. Even more tough when kids are picky eaters. Kids prefer certain foods and formats. It is not easy to feed kids bitter Ayurvedic herbs, variety of vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds everyday.
Mixed with Ayurvedic herbs, this unique product is an easy solution to feed daily nutrition for Immunity, Brain development, Bone strength and overall-growth to kids without any fuss.
India’s First Tasty Kids Nutrition fortified with Ayurvedic herbs.
If your child is a picky eater or does not take enough nutrition for the day, you can give ‘5 Ayurvedic herbs and 7 Nuts’ chocolate or savoury spreads to meet daily Nutrition ORDER | 0% preservative
Daily Nutrition for: Immunity, Brain development, Bones and Overall growth
(shipping in India only)
Check what our Satisfied Parents have to say!
Join Fast-Growing KIDS NUTRITION & SKINCARE Community for Parents of small Kids & Teens.
Foods and Remedies recommended by a Nutritionist expert.
Read more blogs: